S-Cube is an award-winning tech startup spun out from Imperial College that has been taking the seismic industry by storm.
We are known for creating revolutionary optimisation algorithms and software on the AWS cloud. Now a leading provider of transformatory technology to some of the world's largest energy companies, S-Cube are looking to expand. Currently we are recruiting for the following positions.
Graduate Algorithm Developer/Prototyper
About the Position
We are a cloud-based service company focused on imaging of the earth's subsurface. We specialise in an algorithm known in the industry as full waveform inversion, a form of applied seismology, and at its core a complex optimisation problem. In solving this problem, we utilise thousands of compute instances simultaneously on the cloud and are constantly implementing some of the most advanced mathematical engineering concepts to make our leading solution even better and even quicker for our customers.
We are seeking a graduate Mathematician with an obsessive passion for the field, to help us on our journey to becoming the leading technology service provider in the energy sector and beyond. You will assist in algorithm development, joining a close-knit team of highly-skilled developers who will equip you with the tools to take your theoretical knowledge to the next level delivering real-world impact to solve some of the most complex mathematical engineering challenges.
We encourage learning at every opportunity and our fast-paced culture instils our team members to drive innovative ideas from proof-of-concept through to production. If this sounds like you, these are some of the projects you could be involved in:
- Using Generative Adversarial Networks (GAN’s) to be able to map seismic data from the elastic domain to the acoustic domain
- Exploring Bayesian Optimisation techniques for hyperparameter optimisation within our full waveform inversion algorithm
- Exploring Theories and Concepts to define and modify new objective functions to give the kinematic misfit between predicted and recorded sound
Cloud infrastructure code written mostly in Python using vendor-supported libraries such as Boto3. We work with AWS and use many of their services directly (EC2, Spot Fleet, S3, SQS, CWLogs/Events/Metrics, Lambda).
- Visualization platform is built using Angular against a Django backend
- The core scientific workload is run off a parallelized monolithic application written in Fortran/C
- Various services we use: Auth0, GitHub, Trello, Serverless
Skills and Requirements
You'd be a good fit if you:
- Have a firm grasp of advanced undergraduate Maths degree topics from a leading institution in particular - Linear Algebra, Complex Analysis, Variational Principles, Optimisation, Machine Learning
- Have some experience or demonstrable interest in voice or sound recognition algorithms and related programming paradigms (something you might use the NumPy/SciPy/OpenCV stack for)
- Know your way around a Unix-y shell, and have some natural inclination towards automating things
- Are familiar (or can learn very quickly) with most of the languages and frameworks used in our stack
- Own problems end-to-end, and are willing to pick up whatever knowledge you're missing to get the job done
- Competitive salary, commensurate with performance
- The opportunity to expand your skills in mathematical engineering, supported by an atmosphere of experimentation and mutual mentorship.
Send your CV to email@example.com to apply
Graduate Software Developer
About the Position
We are seeking an ambitious junior developer, who is passionate about technology and software development. You will be joining a team of excellently skilled developers who have contributed to fast growth of the company. We have a keen learning culture, and will allow time for training and teaching of latest technologies.You will be:
- Creating python scripts and APIs to work on AWS for optimisation processes
- Managing and creating web sites to create novel and engaging data visualisations
- Deploying and managing our platform on AWS
- Work closely with other software engineers in an Agile process via discussions and code reviews to help foster an environment that encourages high-quality, robust systems
Platforms we use
AWS, Python, Django, Angular, Auth0, GitHub, Trello
Skills & Requirements:
- Python 3 development experience
- Strong object-oriented programming fundamentals
- Passion for development and problem solving
- Engineering or Science degree from top ranked institution
Nice to haves:
- Angular experience
- AWS experience
- CI/CD understanding
Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Run Full Waveform Inversion on the Cloud
Use XWITM on AWS to discover an unprecedented increase in the resolution of your velocity model.